Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Great Adventures/ Chp. 1

 T H E   G R E A T   

A D V E N T U R E S


O F   T H E   T W O   T H O M P S O N   K I D S


1899 London, England


C H A P T E R   O N E


Charlotte sat gloomily on the front porch. Her head rested on her hand and she sighed wearily. After a few moments, she finally lifted up her head and looked around. This would probably be the last time she ever looked around her yard. Beautiful rose bushes, flower beds lining the driveway. She only had about a half an acre or so. But it didn’t matter. Her garden was beautiful, no matter how small it was. 


But Charlotte would see more yard and forests in her life. Since she was to become a country girl. 


Yes. That horrible thought disturbed her extremely.

Yuck. Country stuff. Cows. Pigs. Mud, dirty barns! Charlotte wanted to scream. “It’s not fair.” She mumbled. 



Her aunt Maria suddenly bursted through the front door, her arms full of boxes and bags. That was Charlotte’s cargo.


Aunt Maria noticed the girl. Her thin black eyebrows lifted in a unsatisfied expression.

“Get up, child! We have loads to do before we leave.” She nearly tripped on her long brown skirt.


Charlotte frowned. “Like what, exactly?” Her voice was just as sour as her face.

“Don’t you question me, girl. Now get up, and stand straight. Slouching makes one look like a pathetic caterpillar!”



Charlotte stood up and took her suitcase to the vehicle. She came back and crossed her arms. 

“Aunt Maria?”

“Yes, what?”

“I won’t go!” She yelled.

Aunt Maria turned around to face her. “What did you just say?”

Charlotte stamped her feet. “I won’t go! I won’t leave my beautiful garden!” 

Aunt Maria rolled her eyes. “Well, you don’t have a choice, now do you? I agreed to take you in for a one year! And instead, I clothed you and fed you and gave you the best education I could! And not for two years, or three years, or even four years! But your entire life!” This time, Aunt Maria stamped her foot.

Charlotte sobbed. “But it’s not fair!” She dropped her head in her hands. 

Aunt Maria watched the girl sulk for a few moments, and then sighed and walked over to the crying child. “Look, Charlotte. I’m getting old. I can’t care for you, forever. And the Thompsons are a lovely family. And you know what? I heard they had a girl, just your age.”

Charlotte wiped her eyes. “Really?”

“Yes, really. And I’m sure you two will be jolly friends.”

Charlotte tried to smile. “I sure hope so.”



These are both photos I found online, and thought they looked just like Charlotte. But I'm still not completely sure which one. I'm thinking the top one. But as we get farther and farther into the story, I'm sure we'll see which one matches her personality.

Until next time!

-Elena








2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome. Your story really reminds me of The Secret Garden so far. :D
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 5

C hapterFive The Lovingale I was actually the last one out. Felix said I was being dramatic, and maybe I was, but for a moment I stayed in t...