Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Sneak peek....

 Hi everyone! This here is a sneak peek of the up-coming action story I've been writing. I don't have a title for the book, yet, but  I'll think of one soon. The real chapter one will be coming out next week hopefully! 

I hope you enjoy, and ignore my logical errors, since this is my first action book taking place in present day America!


This is the story of how I-Daniel Burton-discovered my parent's secret and then...well you'll just have to find out.

It all started on a normal July Wednesday, in my hometown Ronny Drove Ohio. I had no idea my life would completely alter and turn-upside down just because of one secret. My goal had always been to be the best track-runner in the States. Now it's just staying alive.  


RONNY DR., Ohio. 

Wednesday 

July the 8th,  

5:03pm.


I had just got back from school. 

The weather was near eighty degrees and the air was thick and hot. It had been a slow walk coming home, since the humid air had affected my Asthma and dropped my pace to a more moderate steady one.

I dropped my back-pack on the floor and kicked off my running shoes. The house was eerily quiet.

Too quiet, I thought.

“Mom?” I looked around a corner. The lights seemed to be off in every room. “Dad?” 

No answer.

I closed my eyes and listened real silently, straining my ears to see if I could make out just a whisper. Something that would give me a calm conscious. But the silence didn’t seem natural. It didn’t feel natural.

What’s going on…

Just as I decided maybe going upstairs and getting showered and changed would be best, I heard something. 

Just a mumble. Then, two mumbles. It has to be Mom and Dad, I was thinking. And I was right. I followed the sound to what was the basement. We hadn’t gone down to that basement for ages. But now, voices echoed in the empty space.

I got just a hint of a chill down my spine. I tried to walk cat-like down the rickety steps, but even with my socks, it creaked—three steps down. 

It was dark and muggy down there. I was at the bottom of the steps and peeked my head around the wall, when I gasped. A bright neon light shone from underneath a door farther along. My curiosity grew and I tiptoed closer to the door, trying to make out the words I heard. I was so close—and then I tripped over some hidden object laying out on the floor. I let out a quiet groan and tumbled to the cold concrete floor.

That’s gonna be a bruise later, I thought.

And then—I sat deathly still as I heard a shuffle of footsteps.

“What’s that?” A voice said. And to my surprise, it was my mother.

Who else did I think would it be?

“Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

The door opened.

I scooted behind an old trashcan.

The whole room almost lit up with the neon coloring flowing from out the door.

“It’s okay. Danny’s probably home now,” my dad reassured her.

I sat there quietly, anticipating what Mom might say next. I heard the door shut, but when I peeked over the top of the can, I saw that it had accidentally been left open a crack. I leaned my heard farther and strained my ears for more information.

“Liam,” Mom had worry growing in her voice. Her eyes glowed with the bright light. “What are we going to do? They’ve probably already found us out. They’re coming, Liam.”

What?

“I know, Starla. But it’s going to be okay. Danny’s a smart boy. Almost all grown up,” Dad’s voice dropped to a low tone. “If he ever found us…this…”

“But he won’t. They might, but we have to make sure he doesn’t. His life depends on it.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “His life depends on it?” I decided maybe I should leave. After all, they obviously didn’t want me to find out whatever they were talking about. I slipped upstairs and into my room, slowly and silently, closing the door behind me. I took a seat on my bed and let out a big exhale. 

“His life depends on it…his life…his life depends on it…”

2 comments:

  1. Oooh this sounds exciting! I can't wait to see where you take this. Also Daniel Burton sounds like a cool character.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 5

C hapterFive The Lovingale I was actually the last one out. Felix said I was being dramatic, and maybe I was, but for a moment I stayed in t...