Saturday, April 24, 2021

Kyla's Journey

 P a r t   F i v e

-F A R   A W A Y-

Kyla slept at Malachi’s house for two days, and then headed on the road. Lisha and Ryan offered to find a safe place for Kyla, but Kyla didn’t want others to know too much about her. Kyla was all by herself in a huge city. She took a bus to the library and stayed there for hours reading books, and wandering around. Kyla found a book called, ‘Midnight Mystery.’ She went to the librarian and asked to borrow it for twelve dollars. 

      “Actually dear, that book isn’t one of ours. We are renting it from a much bigger library in Rucversville.” The kind lady said. 

Kyla sighed. “Ma’am, is there any way possible to rent the book from them? Maybe you could give me directions to Rucversville?” Kyla said earnestly. 

The lady thought about it, and then responded. “Yes you may. There’s a bus going to Rucversville this afternoon at three.” The lady handed Kyla the book and put it in a bag. “Take this straight there. No stealing.” 

“Yes Ma’am.” 

Kyla had gotten used to the idea of watching out for herself. She kind of enjoyed it.

That evening at three, the bus came and Kyla was one of the first ones to jump on. She told the bus driver her destination, and gave him the amount of money she owed him. As Kyla sat in the back of the bus, a thought came into her mind. Each mile the bus goes, the farther and farther I get away from home. Kyla was nervous all the sudden. I’m so far. But I’ll get back. I’ll get back. I’ll get back. “I’ll get back. I’ll get b—” 

“Something wrong back there, miss?” The driver asked. 

“Uh, oh no, no. I was just thinking.”

 “Okay, miss. Just checking.”

The bus drove another hour but then finally it arrived at the Rucversville Library. Kyla woke up, when the bus hit a bump on the road.

“Hey, Missy! I ain’t gonna wait here much longer.” The driver said. 

“I know, I’m coming.” Kyla quickly went to the front of the bus and hopped out. 

The library was huge. It had two beautiful glass windows, and about twenty big white stone steps leading up.

After asking to rent the book, Kyla walked around and explored the place. She wasn’t looking where she was going when she bumped into a lady carrying a leather purse and a few books. “Oh, I’m sorry.” Kyla said. The lady smiled. “You’re very polite. My name is Rachel, what’s yours?” Kyla was always taught to never tell a stranger her name. So she simply said, “my name is Leslie.” Leslie was Kyla’s middle name. 

Rachel then asked, “where are your parents Leslie? Are you all alone?” Kyla didn’t know what to say. So she said, 

“I have parents here somewhere.” She quickly walked off.

      Later that day, Kyla was trying to find someplace to sleep when she came across Rachel again. Rachel was very kind to her and offered to help her. “It’s okay Leslie. I don’t want to hurt you. But I need to know where your parents are. Rucversville’s a very big city. I don’t want you getting hurt.” Kyla felt comfortable around Rachel. 

“To tell you the truth……my name is Kyla, and……” Kyla thought. Was she really going to lie, or tell the truth? “I don’t have any parents.” She lied. Rachel bent down, and gave her a hug, offering to let her come to her house, or to find out where she can go. 

Kyla began to love Rachel. Kyla hadn’t loved anyone for a long time. Not even her dad. 

Rachel made tea for them both, and made her a bed on the couch. 

      “Don’t worry. I’m going to find you someplace safe.” Rachel reassured her. Kyla thought about if she should tell Rachel the whole truth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...