Friday, May 14, 2021

Hadassah/Chp. 2


C H A P T E R   2—O N   T H E   W A Y   D O W N

Hadassah sat on the lawn swing reading a book. But though she looked through the pages and read the lines, she was really thinking about what her parents had said, and how her mother ignored her words. Hadassah had wanted a cousin for so long. But now for some reason after all these years of wanting a close family relative—she suddenly just decided she didn’t want to meet them. 


It had been a whole day since her parents’ talk. Hadassah knew she would be leaving tomorrow. 


Her parents (Veronica and James) had paid a taxi to take her there. 

Like mother had said, ‘Their house is just a day away.’ Hadassah sighed frustratingly. She sat up and ran her fingers through her long brown hair. “I can’t believe this! I can’t believe they’re sending me away! I can’t believe they’ve never told me about these relatives they’re sending me to. I can’t believe any of this!” She burst out in tears and headed for the stable. She stayed until night and slept on a cozy pile of hay. Veronica and James took no thought about going out after her. They slipped into bed and went to sleep.


The next day, the sun shone brighter than the day before. The grass looked greener, the sky looked bluer—it was a beautiful March day. The grass was still damp from the dew that still lay on each blade. Usually on days like this, Hadassah would be happy and wear a smile on her face. She’d finish her chores and sit underneath a tall oak tree and read her favorite book. But now, even on a perfect day like this, Hadassah could not find a reason to be happy. 


Why should I? I’m being sent away to complete strangers. And then Hadassah thought. Today I’m leaving. Hadassah grew more nervous just thinking about it. She dreaded the minute when the taxi cab would pull up and she would be alone in the car. Hadassah shuddered. She didn’t want to go. She would be fine staying here. Besides, she didn’t want to leave her chestnut mare. The more Hadassah thought about it, the more it grew to be a possibility. 

What if…………they’re sending me away for a reason? But what reason is so important that I have to travel to a different state all by myself? Hadassah pushed the thought out of her mind. No. Like Mother said, my uncle Henry has willingly accepted to take me in. But Hadassah frowned. “Why should I be happy? I don’t want to meet him!” She said aloud. She kept running through her thoughts over and over again. Until she heard a sound. It was a car honking its horn.


Hadassah jumped up. Why is the taxi here already? She walked quickly to the car and  told the driver she would need a moment. She went inside and was about to run up the stairs, when she saw a note lying on the countertop. She picked it up and examined it. This is what it read:

“Dear Hadassah. I am sorry to say that we have already left and didn’t get to say goodbye. We hope you have a good time at your Uncle’s house. We love you!”

—Mom & Dad


Hadassah put down the note. “They didn’t even say goodbye?” Hadassah felt hurt. She heard the taxi beep its horns two more times. Hadassah left the note lying where she had found it, and headed out to the cab. 


Inside the car, she read her book, until it was finished. Then after beginning another one, she fell asleep.


She suddenly woke to a thud. The driver had stopped the car a moment too late. Hadassah rubbed her eyes.

“Sir?” She said tiredly. The rain splashed against the car doors and slid down the windows. The taxi driver hummed and sang under his breath. 

Hadassah, now more awake, cleared her throat and spoke a little louder. 

      “Sir?”

“Yes’um,”

“Are we almost there?” 

The driver answered. “Yes dear, we’d be pulling into the driveway any minute now. Just gotta make this last turn.” The driver’s voice sounded friendly and Hadassah felt comfortable. She knew they would arrive soon, so in her last few moments she laid her head down on the soft feather pillow placed upon the black leathery seats and closed her eyes. She thought about her parents. I wonder what they’re doing now. She thought. She wondered if they were thinking about her right now. They’re probably too busy to think about me. She opened her eyes and looked out the window. They were on a gravel path lined with beautiful blossoming apple trees. The pink and white flowers somehow comforted her. I always wanted trees like that at my home. But then she pushed the thought away. This isn’t my home. It never will be. 


The driver noticed she looked nervous. 

“We’re on our way down. In a minute I’m gonna have to drop ya off. You gonna be ok?” 

Hadassah hesitated. She said nothing but nodded her head. But how could she say anything? She didn’t fully know if she would be ok. What if her cousin didn’t like her? What if her aunt and uncle are mean and don’t love her? All her worst thoughts jumbled through her head a million times until the driver cleared his throat.

“This is it ma’am. I’m gonna have to leave you now.”


Hadassah once again nodded her head and slowly opened the car door. The rain had now stopped and a slight rainbow peeked above the mountainside. 

The driver opened his window and gave her a wave as he turned around the car. Then, after beeping his horn goodbye, he slowly drove down the gravel path leading to the road. All of a sudden Hadassah felt entirely alone. No parents. No chestnut mare. No taxi driver. Hadassah felt afraid. But she knew her parents sent her here for a reason. So Hadassah slowly walked up to the porch and shuffled up the wooden steps. She inched her way to the door and lifting up her hand, gave it a little, quiet knock. For some reason, the front door seemed so vast and tall. 


Hadassah’s heart nearly jumped when she heard footsteps coming from inside. She closed her eyes and inhaled a deep breath. “Here I go.” She whispered. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...