Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Dawn of Freedom Chp. 5

 

1762

M A R C H 

C H  A  P  T  E  R   Five—

Temperance looked out the side of the boat. She thought of Mother. He probably didn’t even bury her. I know she’d hate to see me like this. Her head dropped in her hands. “Slaves.” The thought sickened her. “We’re really slaves.” She felt a knot coming up from her throat. She felt nervous and afraid. “But at least I’m not seasick.” Temperance glanced over at her brother who was currently vomiting over the side of the boat.


Suddenly a boy approached her. Besides James and her, he was the only other white slave on the boat.

“I saw you crying earlier. I wanted to tell you—” 

“To not cry, because they’ll think they’ve won?” Temperance shook her head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t help but cry. My mother is dead, my father has deserted me, and now I am a slave.” She looked away. Her dirt brown hair hid her face.

“I don’t mean to upset you…I…” He straightened up like a gentleman. “My name is Gideon. I was orphaned only a short time ago, when Typhus took my parents.” He looked down at his feet. “I've been alone ever since. Until I was found, of course.” 

Temperance caught his glance but quickly looked away. She didn’t want him to see her tear-stained face.

“My name is Temperance.” She spoke almost in a whisper.

Gideon thought for a moment. “Temperance.” He repeated. “I had a sister named Temperance. But she also died of Typhus, as a baby.” He thought once more. “I think Temperance is a fine enough name.” He mumbled.

“What do you mean?” Temperance wondered.

“Well, you see…I’m taking care of a baby. But she hasn’t gotten a name yet. I think I shall call her Temperance.”

Temperance smiled. “It is very kind of you to name your baby after me, but—” She hesitated. “Please call her Esme.” 

The words seemed a random surprise to Gideon. 

“Esme was my mother’s name and—” Temperance realized something, though she didn’t know whether or not it was good. “She’s my sister. And I am very grieved to know that she will most likely grow up as a slave.”

Gideon rubbed his chin while he thought. “How do you know?”

Temperance looked around. “Well, who gave her to you? Was it a woman who was heading to America? Did she say who the mother is?” 

“Well, yes, I suppose she did. You may have the baby.”

Temperance looked away. “We can’t. I’m afraid we have a worser fate than you. Our master is cruel, and I think we may soon be separated, my brother and I.” She looked toward James, who was playing his harmonica quietly in the corner.

“Well, we’ll come to an arrangement soon.” Gideon decided. “Where do you come from?” He asked.

“Well, my father has lived here all his life, and my mother grew up in France. But I’ve stayed here.” She looked to the dot of land that used to be her home. “I live in a cottage on a little hill,” she said. “And you?”

“I grew up in England, but I came on a ship to the Netherlands only about a year ago. Now, once again, I’m leaving.” Gideon looked upset about the situation, but anyone would be, if they were a slave.


James walked over and noticed that his sister had been talking to the stranger boy. They talked for quite some time and then Gideon walked off.


The two children sat together and shared a slice of stale bread.

“What will become of us?” Temperance sighed. 

“No one knows for sure. Not even Mr. Reeds.”

Temperance’s face grew red with anger. “Mr. Reeds? That’s how it is? You say his name as if you know him as a friend! He’s cruel, and he’ll put us each in different homes, so we can work and clean like animals for the rest of our lives! I heard you say master earlier. But why? How is he our master?”

“He bought you, that’s why.” Mr. Reeds was standing there. 

Temperance had no idea he was even on board the slave ship.

“You are the property of me until I die, or until I sell you. Is that understood?”

Temperance looked him in the eye and did a very bold thing: she spit on his boot. “I am not an animal. I am a person and I belong to my mother!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...