Saturday, September 18, 2021

The Dawn of Freedom Chp. 10

Hi everyone! I might Strat posting two chapters a week, simply because 1, I want to get through the book, just in case some of you are bored of of your mind. (:

Also, because I feel bad only posting something once a week, (Which kinda makes my blog a little boring...)

Anyway, here it is! 


1763

J U N E 

C H  A  P  T  E  R   Ten—

The days carried on slowly. Temperance tried to mind her manners and remain silent, but inside she was screaming. She was letting all her thoughts explode. It was a very difficult task not to let them all out, but luckily, Temperance succeeded. Gideon helped, of course. He talked to her and encouraged her through tough times. As the weeks went by, they began to become very close friends. 


The days grew hotter and most nights, Madam was out partying or in court trying to convince the police that she did in fact pay her monthly bills.


The rare times that Temperance and Gideon weren’t needed, they snuck off to town to look for James and enjoy the fresh air

Temperance put down a book she was admiring and gazed across the busy street to a girl that looked to be about her age, only this girl was plumper and healthier. Temperance felt a slight ounce of jealousy rise up within her. 

“She gets to be free and wears a fancy, silk gown with a parasol, while I have to be a slave and do nothing but work and serve.” There was much hatred in her voice.

“Temperance please, not again. Just look away.” Gideon took her by the arm and led her to a little shop called Nick Knacks and Little Things.

“Why did you bring me here?”Temperance demanded.

“Well, I had to get you away from that girl! You looked like you were gonna punch her or somethin’!”

Temperance turned away angrily. “I may be in bondage, but I am not an animal! I am still a civilized being!” She stomped her foot. “I would never, ever, ever punch a human person in the face.” She caught her breath. “Except maybe you, of course.” With that, she stomped away. Gideon went after her.

“Hey Tem, wait up! Temperance! Temperance Constance!” 

Temperance stopped in her tracks. “How do you know my middle name?” She stepped forward. “I demand to know!” She shouted. 

“Okay, okay, okay. I only asked James. But don’t you think—” He inhaled a deep breath, knowing he was probably about to get slapped. “Don’t you think you should give up fighting? At least until we escape?” He backed away a few steps, but Temperance followed.

“You want to…Give up?” Instead of slapping him, she said quietly, almost in a whisper, “My middle name is Constance, is it not?” With that, she walked away. 


When they arrived home, Gideon once again tried to calm her. “If you just pretend to like it here, they’ll never guess that we’re planning to run away. They might even trust us enough to let us into town. But if you keep on acting the way you, we’ll never get out of here.”

Temperance sat on a bale of hay, her arms crossed. “I just want my brother.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...