Thursday, February 24, 2022

Healer of Pain Chp. 17

 Chapter 17

Goodbyes 

ER I N watched out the plane window. She saw the explosion. She dropped her head in her hands and cried. “I should’ve stayed with him.” 

Marion leaned on her shoulder and wrapped a blanket around her. 

Theodore sat with his hands folded. “I didn’t think it would come to this.”

Avery steered the jet farther from the explosion.

Andrew straightened. He tried to sound hopeful. “He might’ve survived.”

Erin looked up. “You think so?”

They heard another BOOM and a sigh went around the plane.

“Caleb was a good friend.” Avery declared. “And he was chosen for a very special purpose.” 

Avery gently parked the jet in an airport. Marion grabbed ahold of Theodore’s hand. 

After the group was off the plane and in the parking lot, Avery looked around the circle. “I have been blessed with the honor of getting to know you all. And even though we part, we still will keep this love for each other in our hearts. Do we all know where our locations will be?”

Andrew and the girls answered. Theodore fidgeted.

Avery took notice of that. “Theodore…I have rooms in my home.” He hadn’t sold his home before going to Peru. A whole part of Theodore ached to say yes, but he felt Avery was feeling bad for him.

“I’ll manage.”

Avery looked through Theodore’s nervous eyes. He was only seventeen. How could he run a home by himself?

“Theodore. Since my son is gone, I will be very lonely. I plead with you to stay. I will be very grateful. You will be like a son to me.”

Theodore smiled and blinked back tears. He thought about Caleb. If Caleb were here, they’d go back home together.

“I’ll stay.”

“Good!” Avery hugged him.

Andrew and Avery walked a short distance away, getting into a conversation. Erin had left, and now there was only Marion and Theodore standing across from each other.

They both hesitated. But Marion broke the dreadful silence. “I guess this is goodbye.” She said soberly.

Theodore nodded. “I guess it is.”

Marion gave him a hug. “I’ll only be a few states away. You can always call me.”

“I’m not much of a caller.” Theodore chuckled. “But I’d call you anytime.”

Marion once again teared up. “Remember when we climbed that waterfall?”

The memory made him grin. “I remember.”

Marion sniffled and looked down. “It was amazing.”

“Yeah, it was.” Theodore felt his necklass. “As long as I have this necklass, I will always think of you everyday.”

“And I you.” She hugged him tight and once she let go, Theodore felt suddenly alone. Marion held his hand and whispered, “Maybe one day…when all these troubles are over…”

“You’d want me, over someone else? Someone strong and good-looking, maybe charming and humorous?”

Marion laughed. “I don’t want any of those things. I just want you.”

“I’d just be a burden. I mean, how could we—how could I raise children?”

Marion’s eyes shimmered. But you wouldn’t be raising the children. We would. You’d just be my burden to bear.”

“Is that a compliment?”

“I don’t know, is it?”

Theodore laughed and tightened his grasp on her hand. “I won’t forget you.”

“Nor I you. But don’t talk about that, we’ll see each other again. I’ll come back. I promise.” Marion wiped away her tears. 

Theodore pulled out a handkerchief. “Marion, don’t cry. Please. And listen to me. You can have anyone. Anyone in the world. But don’t make a decision you’ll regret. Some guys could offer you so much. A beautiful home, a fancy car, a husband who can--" He sighed. "Don’t rush into things that…that you’ll just regret.”

Marion stopped crying. “Maybe so. Maybe they can offer so much. But you—you offer more than just worldly things. You offer love. A humble spirit. A gentle personality.”

Theodore faced the ground. “You know…you’ve been holding my hand since we’ve met, it seems. But it never felt real until now.”

Marion chuckled lightly. "Yeah, I know.” She released her hand from his. “I love you Theodore. And I’ll be back.”

Theodore smiled and listened to her footsteps fade away.

Andrew said his goodbyes, and soon it was just Avery and Theodore.

“I guess it’s our time to go too.” Avery clasped his hand in Theodore’s and went to find a car that would drive them to his home. His home was a few hours away, while the others would have to travel by planes to get back to America.  


Caleb woke up. He was in a tent. He looked around. His vision was blurred and his legs unsteady. He saw through the sheet door, that a jeep was waiting. 

“What…” He stood up and stretched. He went outside and felt the jeep and ran his fingers down the wheel. He could tell it suffered a fire.

The fire! 

Caleb sighed. But then looked at his hands and gasped. “I’m alive. I’m actually alive. Wait a minute…” He looked around himself. “I was supposed to die. How am I alive?”

“I saved you, you idiot.” 

Caleb wirled around. He sighed a breath of relief. It was just Matthew.

“What are you doing? I thought you wanted to get out of here.”

“I did. But since Akin betrayed me, the fire nearly burnt down the Amazon. The men wouldn’t pay me.”

“How did you stop the fire?”

“I grabbed buckets of water and tried my best. I haven’t had any sleep for days.”

“Are you going to do it?”

Matthew stepped back. “Do what?”

“Are you going to kill me?” His own words surprised Caleb himself.

“I just saved you. Why would I kill you?” Matthew sighed. “I’m going to the Brazilian City. There’s water in the well over there. Good luck.” Matthew jumped in the jeep.

“Wait, wait, wait, you’re just going to leave me here?”

“Since when are you my problem? I wished you good luck.”

“Why did you save me, just to leave me alone in the jungle?”

“You’ll survive. I’m sure you’ll find food eventually.”

Caleb squeezed his fists. “Eventually? Matthew. I am alive for a reason. And I ask of you kindly, please. Take me with you.”

There was a pause.

Matthew rolled his eyes. “Get in. But say a word, and I’ll shove you off and punch you to next Friday.”

Caleb jumped in the car and before he could discover the seat belt was broken, Matthew had already zoomed down the road. 

Caleb wondered what would happen next… 


They seemed to drive for miles. 

“Are we almost to Brazil?”

“Aye.”

“How far?”

Matthew shrugged. 

“Will it be close to the airport?”

Matthew stopped the car and stared at Caleb irritatedly.

Caleb stayed quiet.

Matthew started the car back up again. 

After a long while of silence, Caleb dared to ask, “Are we f-friends now?”

Matthew said nothing.

“A-are we?”

“N-no!” He mocked him. He came closer to the distant city and a sign read, “Welcome to Brazil”. 

The faraway city grew closer and closer. The lights grew brighter and the little houses grew bigger.

Matthew stopped the car and got out.

“Where are you going?” Caleb hollered from the jeep.

“Getting food.”

“Where?”

“Does it look like I know?”

Caleb sighed. 

Matthew stopped himself and wirled around. “Since you’re so eager to make friends, why don’t you go down the road to the chickens? I’m sure you’ll fit in there. Now leave me alone.”

“You rescued me for a reason. Why?”

“I was—” Matthew glared at him. “I don’t owe you anything. I didn’t want to take you anywhere, and I don’t want to have you accompany me. All I ask is that you leave me alone and let me live my own life.” Matthew walked away into the crowds.

Caleb felt his chin and thought. Where should he go?

“Excuse me,” he called to a man there. “Where’s the nearest eating place?”

The man turned around. It was a face Caleb never wanted to see.

“Akin!”

The man fled.

Caleb watched where he went. He was heading the direction Matthew had gone.

I need to warn him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...