Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 15 Danger

hello everyone, I just wanted to say, that the published version of this book will be updated and there will be slight changes or differences in each chapter.  if you are enjoying the story, then check here every Tuesday! I will make a post when it is officially available to buy! 


C h a p t e r  F i f t e e n

Danger


The raft was going farther into the river and then—I squinted. “It’s sinking! Henry, it’s sinking!”

Without any thought or hesitation, Henry dove into the river like a wild dog.

“Henry!” I screamed after him. “You can’t go that far in!”

Artie was troubled. “There’s gators in those waters, and snakes.” He dashed off and dragged the old rowboat partly out of the woods and heaved it in front of me. “The water pressure gets too much for person that far in. He’ll drown if he goes any farther,” he said urgently, preparing the boat as speedily as he could.

“There’s only one paddle.”

“It’ll be fine, but I have to hurry. We can’t swim that far in; the river’s too strong.” He gave me one last worried look and pushed the boat into the water with a forceful effort, small waves lapping against the sides.

“Henry, the boat!” I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled. And then Henry suddenly fell under. Was pulled under.

“Henry!” My hand flew to my mouth and I felt my lips shaking. I stood on the line where the sand met the river and I could do nothing but pray and hope that they would make it back. Artie dove into the water and after half a minute, plunged to the surface and pushed Henry into the boat.

But by the time they were adjusted again, they had lost sight of the raft.

Instead, Artie rowed back to shore. Henry came out shivering, his dark hair plastered to the sides of his face.

“Oh Henry,” I took off my sweater and wrapped it around his shoulders. “What happened? You—”

“A snake or some creature,” Artie said breathlessly. He wasn’t shivering like Henry, but was soaked to the skin all the same. I guessed he was used to things like that. “They rounded the bend.”

“How will we get them back? It-it’s sinking,” I said.

Henry appeared lost. He looked at Artie for answers but Artie had none to give.

“Wait, over here!” Claudia cried from a distance. “I see them! We have to follow them along the coast!”

I looked at the boys and then took off in a run toward the woods.


Henry, Artie, Claudia, and I carefully lifted up the boat and carried it through the woods, and we came out at a different place along the coast, a small beach where there were no bends. We could see everything, and my eyes, thankfully keen at this moment, found the little dot of a raft floating downriver and slowly going in a downward position, as greenish brown water was spilling over the top and pushing it under.

“Hey!” Felix waved his arms.

“No Felix, don’t!” I screamed back.

“You’ll fall in you idiot!” Artie hollered, and once more we hurt our backs by pushing that boat into the water with all of our might. Claudia stayed behind.

“Whoohoo!” Charlie followed suite and looked up and started howling at the sky.

“We’re the kings of the sea!” Felix laughed at us. 

“He’s being foolish,” Henry muttered angrily, rowing the boat with both of his hands. 

“Ha, ha, ha!” Charlie was just getting riled up more and more and so was Felix. I wanted to shout to them to calm down and be quiet, but I feared it would do no good.

Felix waved his arms like a scarecrow and sure enough, fell backwards into the water with a powerful splash.

I let out some sort of frustrated groaning sound that I didn’t know I was capable of. “Not again,” I despaired. 

“Don’t be a such a coward, Annabelle!” he choked, clinging to safety. I marveled at how he managed to reprimand me and in such a dangerous circumstance. 

“Oh Felix, you shouldn’t have—” I didn’t finish. I was far too upset and irritated and frightened all at once. Too many times had I seen someone almost drown in these waters.

Once the raft was nearly under water, both of the boys clung to it like wet rags. 

“Hurry up!” Felix demanded. “I’m holding on for dear life—” and he coughed up a mouthful of water.

Charlie looked a little scared, a little confused. I reached out my hand and he took it and I pulled him in. Felix was speechless for awhile. He didn’t know what he could say, I guess. I didn’t want him to think that any of us thought he was stupid. I had known how that felt before, and I dreaded any of my siblings to ever feel that way.

“Thank you,” Felix gave in. He looked down, not at any of us. He folded his arms over his chest and was still acting stubborn, but was on his way to humble soon.

We were silent the rest of the way back to shore and I could see that Henry’s arms were aching from the fast rowing, and that Artie and the others were cold and tired out from such a day.

“The was an adventure,” Felix said suddenly.

“It was,” came Artie’s voice. He stood to his feet, still wet and cold. “You know what you are?”

“Me?” Felix jabbed a finger to his chest. “Plucky.”

“Stupid. But,” and Artie let loose a small grin. “It is your birthday. So I’ll let this one slide.”

“Do you keep a record on me?” Felix cried.

“Always. As I do everyone.”

“You count each mishap and mistake of theirs?” I asked with amusement.

“Of course. You get too many tally marks and—” he drew a finger across his neck and made Felix frown. 

“That’s quite dark. I shall have to be more careful, then.”

“Please do. I don’t feel like risking my life again. And Charlie could’ve been hurt.”

“But he wasn’t,” I cut in, trying to make peace between the two. “So, let’s all relax and quell our tongues for a bit. Hm?”

“Alright,” Artie said and then walked away.

“Happy Birthday,” Claudia said coldly as Felix passed her. Felix couldn’t help himself. Just out of his own pride and spite, did he proclaim that today had been the “best, most adventurous birthday” he’d ever had. 

“I enjoyed every minute of it,” he said bitterly, like he was insulting us with striking remarks. I found it a little funny when he spat at Claudia, “I couldn’t ask for more fun. How’s that for a Happy Birthday?”

We suddenly all looked at each other.

And then we laughed and laughed like Felix would, bent over and pointing at one another, our fingers aiming at no one in particular. 

“It was a bit funny,” Henry admitted through a chortle.

“It was the best fun I’ve ever had.”

“I’m pleased that you’re alive, Felix, and that you enjoyed yourself through,” Henry said as he gave him a pat on the back which Felix longed for and cherished more than anything.

After that I guessed he was very exhausted and he didn’t talk much for the rest of the afternoon, but at last, when we had made arrangements to spend the night out in our field under the stars, did he roll over and whisper to me that he did, in fact, enjoy the cake.

“But,” he added with a grin, “I much liked it all over your face, too.”

I rolled my eyes in a playful, older-sister way. “I’m glad. You’re fourteen now. Are you ready to be an adult?”

And he blew a raspberry in my face and rolled to the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Hello to anyone who is reading... this  is officially the end of the Todd the Spectacular Posts!!! this book goes on for quite some time aft...