Monday, April 19, 2021

Kyla's Journey

 P a r t   T w o

-T O U G H   C H O I C E S-

Kyla ran into the yard, her face burning with tears. Why is this happening to me? She thought over and over again. Why? Why did Mom and Dad have to split up? Why do we have to move away from our home and leave Dad behind?  “I just want things to go back to normal.” She said through her tears. 

Kyla was never the one to cry or get teared up all time, but these last three months she had become so emotional and quiet. 

That thought about Mica wanting a new Dad, ran through Kyla’s mind a million times. She pondered them over and over again. But then thought: Once we move to Ohio, Dad will get our house here in South Carolina. Then— Kyla paused. “Am I really doing this? Yes. I have to. I can’t leave Dad behind.” 

Kyla had made her decision. I’m running away. But only for a little while. Once my Mom and Mica are in Ohio, then I’ll come back here and live with Dad. Ever since Kyla’s parents divorced, Kyla drew away from her Mom. Since it was her Mom’s idea to get a divorce, Kyla just stopped talking to her as much as she used to. 

Kyla snuck inside the half empty house, and found a random bag lying on the dusty floor. She picked it up and stuffed a water bottle, a box of peanuts, and a little blanket. 

I won’t need a lot of supplies, since I’ll only be gone about a week or two. Somehow, the thought never occurred to Kyla that her Mom and sister would never leave the state, knowing that she was missing. 

It was getting dark and Kyla knew a bus always drove through her neighborhood picking people up. This is the fastest way out of here, she thought. To get on the bus, it was about thirty dollars. To get someplace really faraway, it was usually about fifty dollars. Kyla had the money in her hand and waited for the bus. 

Meanwhile, Mom, Mica, and even Dad were still loading things into trucks, and cleaning up the house. Mom was going to check on Kyla, but Mica had told her Kyla was upset and wanted to be left alone. 

The bus finally came, and Kyla inhaled a deep breath. Here I go. She said to herself. And the second she stepped on that bus, her life would change forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...