Saturday, April 17, 2021

Kyla's Journey

 

Kyla’s Journey


The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you

He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Deuteronomy 31: 18


P a r t   O n e

-C H A N G E-

Kyla lifted up her bronze dresser into the moving van with her sister Mica. Then they lifted the bed frame, along with the mattress. When they were done with Kyla’s bedroom furniture, Mica went inside and decided to start bringing out her bedroom stuff. Kyla sat on the swing thinking. “I can’t believe we’re really moving. Away from everything! It just isn’t fair.” Kyla stood up and went inside to get one last look at her old room. She walked down the cold empty hallway glancing at the bare walls that used to be filled with pictures of their family, a photo of their dog, and an owl clock that would go: hoo! Hoo! At every hour. Kyla remembered a time when she was three or four and asked her dad to lift her up, so she could see the owl’s eyes go back and forth. She also remembered her being afraid the first time. She remembered her dad’s beard, brown and scratchy. 

I miss Dad. She thought. She stood there lost in thought for a moment, when Mica peeked her head out from her open doorway. “Hey Kyla! Gonna help me or not?” Kyla tried to blink away her bad memories and answered, “sure I’ll be right there.” 

Kyla was thirteen and her sister Mica was ten. Sometimes they could fight so hard. But sometimes they were the best of friends. 

Kyla walked in and saw Mica sitting on the carpet less floor. 

“I thought you were working,” Kyla said. “I was a minute ago. Right now I was just thinking about how nice it will be when we go back to being a family.” Kyla closed her eyes and hoped she couldn’t believe what her sister was saying. “What do you mean, when we go back to being a family?” “Aw, you know, when Mom gets married again.” Kyla turned to leave so upset. “I can’t believe this! Mom’s not gonna get married again! How could you even think about something like that? You want Mom to just completely forget Dad and just marry someone else? You want a stepdad when you could just have your real one? I don’t understand!”

With that, Kyla rushed out the door and went outside crying.

To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...