Friday, June 4, 2021

Hadassah Chp. 5


C H A P T E R   5—N E W S

Hadassah went outside and sat on a porch swing that hung from a tall oak tree behind the barn. She had discovered it earlier this morning and had made this her special place. She had a beautiful view of all the acres they owned and the mountains and valleys beyond them. Hadassah sat there thinking about her parents. 


Uncle Henry found her there, sitting all by herself. He walked over and stood next to the swing.

“This is my favorite place too. Do you mind if I join you?” He said sitting down.  Hadassah nodded her head saying no. 


Uncle Henry rubbed his beard and sighed. The two sat silently and gazed at the mountains. Finally, Uncle Henry spoke. “Hadassah. I’ve been thinking. Every year, about this time, me and Rachel take a camping trip off into the great unknown. We cook our own food, hunt for wild game, and in the evening roast them over a fire and tell stories. It’s great fun. However, this year Rachel’s going on a trip to Kentucky, to clean up trash and help rebuild barns and things that have been destroyed from that tornado, a few weeks back. She’s going to go with some other youth, so that leaves me with no partner.” 


Hadassah looked in his direction, wondering what he’d say next. Uncle Henry looked at Hadassah and after a moment of silence said, “I want to take you along, Hadassah.”

His words completely shocked her. 

She just stared into his eyes. “Me?” She asked, finally finding something to say.

Uncle Henry nodded his head and waited. 

“I—I’d be honored.” She said, not knowing if those were the right words to say. Uncle Henry noticed her astonishment. 

“You’ve never been camping, have you?” He questioned. Uncle Henry looked her straight in the eye, though already knowing the answer. Hadassah sighed.

“No.” She said quietly. “I don’t think my parents wanted me to go camping.”

Uncle Henry wore a serious look on his face.“Well, I think you ought to go on a camping trip, if that’s ok with you.” He sounded firm, but also anxious that she’d say yes. 

Hadassah again looked at him surprised at his seriousness. “I’d love to go.” She said at last.

 Uncle Henry smiled and gave her a hug. “That’s my girl.”


The camping trip had been decided, and was set for Thursday on April 15th. Hadassah looked forward to it all day, and at night she dreamed about what it might be like. Real fishing and hunting, sleeping in a tent, cooking food over a fire. Hadassah couldn’t wait. She seemed at home here with her Aunt, Uncle, and cousin. She felt like she had a place in their family. Even at her own home, she always felt as if she didn’t belong.


On March 30th, she had arrived here at the Walter’s farm, and only one day passed when Hadassah was told about the camping trip. It seemed much longer. 


Now, on April 10th, more than a week had gone by since arriving. Hadassah was now talking to Rachel on a fence post. She was saying goodbye.

“I’ve only just met you Rachel. I wish you didn’t have to go.” Hadassah said looking into the girl’s eyes. Rachel laughed like always, and made her feel special. 

“I’ll be back before you know it, Hadassah. You’re like a sister to me, I couldn’t be gone too long.” She flung back her golden hair and pushed it out of the way. “We still need to finish that water fight,” she said changing the subject. 

Hadassah smiled. “I’m glad you’re my cousin, Rachel.” Her eyes almost watered up, just thinking about a whole four weeks without Rachel. Rachel was like the sister Hadassah never had.

Hadassah pushed her long hair out of her face. She once again hugged Rachel. “Goodbye Rachel. Hurry back. I can’t do all the splashing myself.” The two walked hand in hand back to the road where a taxi was waiting. Uncle Henry carried her suitcase and set it in the trunk.

“Have fun darlin’. Don’t get yourself hurt, you hear me?” Uncle Henry said when the car window went down. 

“I’ll be fine Dad, don’t worry. You take care of Hadassah.” 

Uncle Henry tightly squeezed Rachel’s hand. “I will.”

           










No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...