Tuesday, June 8, 2021

The Great Adventure Chp. 3

   Ok, so before you read this, I just wanted to let you know, that it is NOT edited, so it might sound kind of weird.

C H A P T E R   T H R E E

Charlotte woke up. The rain had stopped. Charlotte rubbed her eyes. “Are we there yet?” She asked tiredly.

Aunt Maria nodded her head. “Yes, dear. In just a few moments, I’m going to have to leave you.”

Charlotte was solemn. She looked into her aunt’s eyes. “But Auntie—I don’t want to go.” Charlotte wiped her eyes. Tears were swelling up.

Aunt Maria sighed. “Don’t sob, Charlotte. It’s not right.”

“But Aunt Maria,” she began. “I don’t mean to. But the tears just won’t stay back.”

“I know, Charlotte. But you must be brave. And remember, they do have a daughter. And I’m sure she’ll be very nice.”


The two opened the car door and got out. It was indeed country. It was an old brown house surrounded by a ground of only dust and dirt. Nearby, was a few scattered weeds. It looked dry. 


As soon as Charlotte stepped out, she slipped and fell into a mud puddle. The puddle had been dried up, but Charlotte cracked the surface. Her fancy silk dress was ruined now.

“Ew! Auntie, my dress! Why, I hate it here already!”

“Charlotte, please calm yourself. It’s just mud. And we want to make a good first impression for the Thompsons.” She helped Charlotte up and wiped her dress with a towel. 

Charlotte was so angry. She wanted to go home.


Aunt Maria was about to walk towards the house, when a couple came out. That would have to be the girl’s father and mother.

They introduced themselves at once, not wanting to embarrass Charlotte by asking about her muddy dress.

The man went first. “Well, howdy there folks.” He said with a tip of his hat. He reached his arm out to Charlotte. 

She hesitated at first but then finally shook his hand.

“The name’s Travis. And what might be your name, little girl?”

Charlotte backed behind Aunt Maria. “Charlotte.” She said almost in a whisper.

Travis chuckled. “It’s okay, Charlotte. You don’t have to be afraid. I don’t bite.”

Charlotte slightly smiled. But only for a second.

Travis’ wife then introduced herself. “My name’s Rachel.” She said with a smile. Rachel looked kind.

Charlotte nodded her head to show she had heard. But finally, the part she had been most waiting for, arrived. She was to meet her new sister.

“Where’s my sister?” She first asked.

Rachel and Travis looked confused. “Sister?” They said together.

Travis chuckled. “Don’t worry, I’ll go get him.” He walked to the barn.

Did he just say what I think he said? “Him?” She wondered aloud. 

Rachel turned to her. “What did you say dear?”

“Oh, nothing.” 


Travis finally came back. “Can’t find him.” He said panting.

There it is again! Why does he keep saying ‘him’?

“Did you look in the horse pasture?” Rachel asked. 

“Actually, no. But I’ll call the child instead.”

This time, Charlotte was really getting nervous. Please, God, please. She kept praying. But her prayers were too late. Travis called her new sibling out.

“Henry! Get out here! Your sister’s here!”

Charlotte’s head fell in her hands. No, no! Not Henry!

But Charlotte quickly lifted her head when he ran over. 

By now, Aunt Maria was already gone. Now Charlotte had no one. Except her new family.


Travis broke the silence. “Henry, introduce yourself.”

Charlotte glared at him.

Henry looked behind her and then behind Travis. He looked confused. “Where is he?” He finally asked. 

Travis and Rachel exchanged glances. 

Henry looked behind Charlotte at the shiny black car. “Leapin’ lizards! It’s a horseless carriage!” Henry ran his hands along every inch of the car.

“Henry!” Rachel exclaimed. “Introduce yourself!”

“Well, where’s he at?” Now he was just ignoring her.

“Henry.” Travis motioned his head towards Charlotte. 

Henry lifted up one eyebrow. “He doesn’t look like a boy to me,” he crossed his arms.

Charlotte’s face turned red. “You silly boy! You don’t have a brother! You have me!”

Henry’s shoulder’s dropped. “What? Pa! You said I was getting a brother!”

“Look, Henry. It was all just a big mistake. Instead, you get a brand new sister.”

Henry scrunched up his nose. “She doesn’t look very brand—new.”

Charlotte stomped her foot. “Where’s my sister? Am I really stuck with that………..thing?”

Henry tried to hit her but Travis grabbed his arm.

“Look. You have each other. And that’s it. There’s no one else around here for miles. So you two are going to have to learn to get along. Understood?”

“Guess I’m just gonna have to leave for awhile.” Henry mumbled. 

Travis repeated himself, this time louder. “Understood?” He said.

“Understood.” Henry looked away when he talked. He looked upset. Great. Just Great. He thought sarcastically. Instead of a new brother, I get some fancy spoiled princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...