Friday, June 11, 2021

Hadassah Chp. 6



C H A P T E R   6—A   L E T T E R

Hadassah went back into the house. The house seemed quiet without Rachel, now miles down the road. Hadassah went to sit at the table, when she noticed a paper lying across from her. She picked up the letter and examined it. It was addressed to her! She tore off the envelope and read the paper very carefully, making sure to read every word. 

These are the words that were written:


Dear Hadassah,

We know you’ve been here more than a week, however, we are having some problems here in Iowa. Financial problems. Your father and I have been temporarily arrested and cannot leave for a while. We know you are upset, but Harris has offered to watch you, if you want to leave. 

We love you,

—Mom & Dad  


Hadassah stared at the letter and a single tear fell from her eyes. She grasped the letter firmly and held it close to her heart. 

Why? Why did this happen?

She thought over and over. My parents are in………jail? “Why didn’t they tell me, they had problems?” Then Hadassah thought. Maybe that’s why I was sent away in the first place. I’m sure Uncle Henry knows. Hadassah dropped the letter and ran upstairs, crying.

Uncle Henry and Aunt Albie had came inside. Aunt Albie noticing the opened letter, rushed over to the table and picked it up. After reading it, she gave it to Uncle Henry.

“Oh, no, Henry. Poor child.” Aunt Albie’s eyes welled up with tears. Uncle Henry finished the letter and set it down. “What can we do?” Aunt Albie said in desperation. Uncle Henry sighed. “All we can do, is give that girl love. Our love is comforting, but only God’s love can truly heal a broken heart. I knew her heart wasn’t right, the moment I saw her. That child is lonely and needs Jesus, that’s all.” 


Two hours went by and Hadassah still laid on her bed, her face dry, but red. For the first time in years, she had missed her mother and father. 

Aunt Albie walked in here room, and sat down next to Hadassah. 

“We saw the letter dear. We know how you feel.” Aunt Albie was only trying to comfort her. Hadassah sat up. “But do you?” She said, wanting to bite the words right back into her mouth. 

“Yes dear. The same thing happened to me, when I was about ten or eleven. I was sent to live with my grandma. In two years, my parents were let out, and I could go home with them. But it was hard. I noticed police watching us from time to time. Kids from school teased me something awful. But one day, the spying stopped and the teasing stopped. Life was back to normal.” Aunt Albie put her arms around Hadassah. “You’ll get there child. You’ll find your place.”

The next day finally arrived and Hadassah decided she was going to let nothing stop her from enjoying her day. She went downstairs and Aunt Albie had just finished making the oatmeal. Hadassah sat down at the counter and Aunt Albie brought her a bowl.

Uncle Henry walked through the back door, all dirty, holding two buckets full of milk.

“Mornin’ girls.” He said setting the buckets on the table. “Got lots of milk today. Old Basel never fails us. She milks just as good as when she was young.” He went to sit down next to Hadassah when Aunt Albie shook her finger at him.

“You forgettin’ something?” She asked.

“Oh, right.”

Uncle Henry went to the sink and washed his hands. When he came back to the table, he cleared his throat.

“Hadassah. Have you ever milked a cow before?” He inquired folding his hands.

Hadassah stammered. “Uh…….no. I haven’t.” 

“You ever taken care of animals before?” He asked, hoping for a good answer. 

“Well, I’ve taken care of Chestnut. But you don’t have any horse…….do you.” She answered quietly. After a minute she said, “I’m sorry. I don’t know how to take care of your animals.”

Uncle Henry cleared his throat again.

“Well, I think it’s high time you do. Startin’ tomorrow at seven, I’m gonna take you along with me, when I feed the animals.”

Half of Hadassah was excited and ready to learn, but the other half didn’t feel like it.

Every day at seven? I’ve never even woke up that early before!

Uncle Henry pointed his finger at her. “Now don’t you sleep in, you hear?” He sounded commanding. Hadassah saluted him. “Yes, sir.”







No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...