Saturday, May 7, 2022

Across the Sea Chp. 16

16

F O R G I V E N


Colin and Fiona watched the sun set. They sat on the roof of the palace. 

Fiona sighed. “I can’t believe I’m seeing you again. I thought you would never come back.”

“I almost didn’t. I didn’t want to trust anyone but myself.”

“Colin. Sometimes it’s okay to need help.”

“I know. But Fiona…Ireland’s still our home. No matter how much you like it here.”

“I know Colin. I don’t know how all this happened. One day we were talking by the sea, and the next we were aboard the ship of the Barbary Pirates. And then…something inside me moved. And I had this longing to help Ronan. I didn’t want him to live a life of fear. He has a hard past, you know.”

“I can sense it in his eyes. And Fiona…I can’t help but feel that I shouldn’t see anything right now.”

“Why?”

“There was young slave boy on the ship. He was hurt and alone. But I felt that even in the darkness he probably saw more than I did. His eyes were open. Mine were sealed closed.”

“Everyone is like that, until they’re forgiven. Ronan freed those slaves. I hope that he will learn to trust God more. But I know he is on the right road.”

“Fiona…that day. The day when Ronan almost died, I pushed him overboard because he told me he’d marry you. I despised him for that and I wanted him dead. But now—there’s no one I’d rather trust than Ronan for you.”

“I know how you feel. It seems all so weird. I remember when I first laid eyes on him. I wanted to kick his perfectly white teeth out. But now, I feel God wants me to become his partner. He needs a friend.”

Colin sighed. “I think I should return to Ireland.”

“What?”

“I feel guilt. Papa would’ve wanted us to live on the farm. Not here, with pirates.”

“But Colin, don’t you see? God wants us here. He wants us to change these pirates. What if we prevented more raids? What if we turned their hearts? I think…I think you belong here. On the sea, somewhere full of adventure. I think God wants you to change these people.”

Colin smiled. “I feel that too. But—” He wiped away a tear. “Mama and Papa are buried there.”

Fiona rested her arm around his shoulder. “Just listen for God’s instructions. If you feel He wants you there, in Ireland…go for it. But just know, you will always be welcome here.”

Colin turned to face her. “I think I will stay.”

Fiona laughed. “I would have never guessed this would be our purpose. But somehow, now, after everything thing that’s happened, it feels just right.”

“Yes. This is where our destiny lies. Across the sea.”


And that is the conclusion of my novelette! I hope you enjoyed! This was written when I was a bit younger, so I hope everything makes good sense.

Enjoy your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...