Sunday, April 10, 2022

Healer of Pain Chp. 22

Chapter Twenty-Two

Conjuring up Courage 

Caleb set down the photo of Theodore. Three whole monthes had passed since his death. Caleb thought of him everyday. And he would continue to.

Andrew walked in. 

Caleb smiled and looked back to the picture. So young. So frail. Why did he have to die?

Andrew saw the troubled look on Caleb’s face. “You know…usually the groom looks a bit more joyful. This is the happiest day of your life.”

Caleb nodded. “Sorry. It’s just—Theo would’ve wanted to see this.” Caleb corrected himself. “He would’ve wanted to be here, I mean.”

Andrew stepped closer to where Caleb stood. “Theodore was the most bravest, courageous, and faithful man I’ve ever known. He trusted God to direct his steps.”

“I know that. But it could’ve—it should have been me. Not Theodore. Why would someone, someone even as mean as Akin—why would he want to hurt an innocent person? Someone who had no idea what was coming?”

“It wasn’t on purpose.”

“You don’t know that.”

Caleb sighed and set down the picture. The death of his cousin was still fresh.

Andrew put his hand on Caleb’s shoulder. “You know, there’s a lot of stuff I said to Theodore, that I would take back for the world. But that’s just how God works. He wants us to live, knowing that we never know when it will be our loved one’s time, or our time ourselves. We can’t take life for advantage. It’s too short.”

Caleb smiled. “Thanks. I needed that.”

Andrew patted him on the back. “Now get out there, and smile a bit. Do it for Erin. And do it for yourself.”

Caleb laughed. “I’ll do that. I picked a pretty exotic place to get married, didn’t I?” Caleb peeked out the window.

Andrew shrugged. “After what we’ve been through, nothing seems exotic anymore. We just seem to fit right in.”

Caleb nodded. “Right.” He swallowed hard in his throat. “I’m just so nervous.”

“You’re supposed to be. But that’s okay. Just conjure up the courage you need and walk down down that aisle confidently. 


Erin looked in the mirror. Her gown dragged on the floor. A white rose was twisted in her golden hair. 

Marion walked in. “You look beautiful.” She came by the mirror and adjusted Erin’s wedding veil.

“I’m so scared.” Erin whispered.

“You’ll be alright. This is the day you and Caleb have been waiting for.”

Erin smiled. “Right.” She looked in the mirror. “I feel like I’m missing something.”

“You’re fine. If I were you, I’d get out there. The whole village is waiting.”

Erin laughed. She would have never thought her wedding would be in Brazil.

Avery walked in. “Are you ready?”

Erin nodded.

Avery took her arm in arm. “It’s time.” He whispered.

Avery led Erin down the aisle. Rows of people stood up and gazed with awe as the beautiful bride walked down.

Caleb turned around. Erin was but a few feet away. He had been waiting for this day since the minute Erin Micheals stepped off the jet.

Caleb and Erin stood together.

Caleb wondered who would lead the ceremony. Then suddenly, a familiar voice called out, “Do I hear, someone’s having a wedding?”

Caleb turned around. “Mr. Riley Davis!”

Mr. Riley laughed and held his book in hand.

“What are you doing here?” Caleb asked excitedly.

“Why, I wouldn’t miss this for the world.”

Mr. Riley said the words.

It was down to Caleb and Erin now.

Caleb gazed into Erin’s eyes. “I do.” He said.

Mr. Riley turned to the bride. “Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To love him and cherish him?”

The room grew silent. And when Erin said the words, a loud and joyous cheer filled the village.

“I pronounce you, Mr. and Mrs. Peters, husband and wife!”

The crowds stood up and applauded.

Caleb took Erin’s hand, and together they ran down the aisle.

A red jet was waiting for them.

“Ready for another adventure?” Caleb helped Erin into the plane. 

“Why not?” Erin hollered back.

The happy couple yelled their goodbyes and climbed up into the little plane.

Erin closed the door. “Where to?”

Caleb shrugged. “How would you like to go to…Saudi Arabia?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“A missionary’s work is never done,” Caleb laughed. Luckily, he could drive a plane. And as he lifted the jet off the ground and into the sky, a still small voice was telling him, this was what he was meant to do.


The End


A  F  T  E  R  W  O  R  D  S…

Matthew took a seat on the bench. He wiped his forehead and inhaled a deep breath. He felt weird without Caleb. Now he was alone.

Andrew grabbed his bag off the ground. “I guess I should go.”

Marion looked up from her cleaning the tables. “Where are you off to?”

Andrew’s face grew serious. “Well, Marion…I’m leaving. I’m gonna travel the world, make something of myself. I might even become a doctor or an archeologist.”

Marion nodded, solemnly. “I’m gonna miss you, Andrew. You might be gone for some time.”

“Yeah, probably.”

Avery took off his hat. “We’ll all miss you.”

Matthew sat quietly.

Andrew noticed. 

Avery looked at Matthew, in a way of trying to tell him to say goodbye to Andrew.

Matthew shakily stood up and made his way to Andrew. For a second, they stared into each other’s eyes, both waiting for the other to speak.

“Have a good time…you know, traveling around the world or whatever.” Matthew mumbled. “It’s what you’ve always wanted to do, isn’t it…”

“Yeah, it is.” Andrew looked to the floor. He revealed the slightest smile. “You know, you’re not all that bad…”

“Careful—you almost said something nice to me,” Matthew chuckled.

Andrew stepped closer and hugged him. “Until next time, Matt.”

Matthew nodded. “Until next time.” 


Marion was in the room that Theodore had stayed in. She found his bag on the bed. Still full with supplies, as if he were coming back. She opened it and found a wrinkled up piece of paper. The date was the same date, the day his father died. It was a poem. More like a song.

I’d travel the world, any day for you…

Marion blinked back tears. Underneath the poem, was the words, Written for Marion Carmichael

Marion slid the paper into her pocket. This, she would treasure for the rest of her days.

Matthew came in. “Hi, Marion.”

“Hi, Matthew.” Marion turned to meet his eyes.

Matthew leaned against the doorway. “I’m gonna leave for America, tomorrow. You coming?”

Marion nodded. “Yeah. I guess I go with you. Wouldn’t want you to get into trouble, but then again, I guess It wouldn't really effect me.”

Matthew laughed. “For a minute there, I thought you actually cared about me.”

Marion’s gaze met his and she smiled warmly. “I do, Matthew. I do.”

. . .

That is it! That's the end of my novel! I'm so excited to publish it and I hope you guys enjoyed it. And if you have read it, please tell me what you think in the comments.

Have a great day, everyone! 

2 comments:

Todd the Spectacular Chp. 7 Averdeene

ChapterSeven Averdeene I came into town that day, Charlie pulling me around like I was his rag doll. It made me feel important and I admit t...